Is your billing and revenue accurate?
TCGs are revenue assurance solutions that replicate events on a telecommunications network to identify potential drop of revenue and to help achieve regulatory compliance. Both cellular and fixed-line telecom operators utilize test call generators to independently test their networks for CDR reconciliation and validate call start time/duration metering and telecommunications rating. TCGs are mission-critical tools utilized by telecom operator revenue assurance departments to improve revenue capture and to validate network integrity.
Test call generators are too often seen solely as an engineering tool to gauge the quality of network functions. Automated test call generators can also enhance revenue assurance by providing measures of completeness, accuracy, and timeliness.
Cellular and fixed line network testing Test call generators have the capability to test both GSM and fixed-line networks through utilising various hardware components. The components of a TCG system consists of both hardware and software, the key components are defined as:
- Network hardware tester units - These can be either GSM units for 2G/3G/4G testing, and fixed-line units for analogue testing.
- System software - Generally consists of the following software modules; System controller to manage the automated call execution process, CDR importer to import the corresponding Operator CDRs, Matching algorithm to match the operator CDRs and Rating module to independently rate the CDRs.
Revenue assurance via testing
While various processes make a contribution to Revenue Assurance, it is - service usage from the subscriber’s view that is receiving the most attention among Wireless Operators. Test Systems are available to emulate the subscriber’s service usage within the operational network, and check the corresponding billing records. These are completely automated and under the direct control of the groups who validate the billing process and measure the quality of service. Though these techniques are comparatively new to Operators, they are becoming a priority across the industry for better understanding and managing Revenue Assurance and QoS.
TCG's are utilized by telecom operators to consolidate revenue assurance strategies. They provide automated testing by executing live calls on the operators network to identify potential network performance issues and drop of revenue. TCGs produce independent rated CDRs that are reconciled against the operators CDRs to validate CDR integrity and to ultimately uncover lost revenue. Some of the services that TCGs provide are:
- Real-time testing for multiple calls and data services e.g. voice, SMS, MMS, HTTP, mobile TV, video calling, content download (games, ringtones..)
- End to end call detail record reconciliation (from switch to billing)
- Verification testing of new tariffs
- CDR matching reconciliation
- Call rating validation of interconnect and retail billing
- Regulatory compliance testing (Ofcom/Sarbanes-Oxley)
- Network performance testing to validate new network components
- Enterprise QoS platform – one system to test all services from voice to products like music portal
- Module based platform enabling step by step growth
- Low-cost test probes – mass testing possible
- One single system for different user groups like radio and network testers, service testers, portal testers and product testers
- Future safe system – module based extension for new services or new network technologies Full featured web-based Reporting, Monitoring and Alarming System included
- Low installation costs – plug and play distribution of test devices
- Low support costs – unattended testing capabilities, remote access
- Stationary-, mobile-, drive-, field and on device testing with one single system Customized test scenario creation capabilities – no additional costs for new test scenarios Automatic test scenario creation using XMASS
- RSD and HTTP/WAP Recorder within few minutes
- Create Once, use everywhere – export – Import capabilities between multiple system installations
- Enterprise Integration with SAP and Business Objects platforms